Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
21 years after RAI
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

21 years after RAI

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in 1991 and had RAI. Have never felt the same again. Main complaint now and has been for 21 years is fatigue. I have fatigue, migraines, non-narcoleptic hypersominia, RLS, TMJ, kidney stones, GERD, Fibromalygia (fibromyalgia), depression, heat intolerance, dry eyes. 3 years ago I was in a car accident and had traumatic amputation of my right leg above the knee.I now walk well with a prosthesis.On most days I can hardly put one foot infront of the other. I am now having trouble sleeping at night. I'm seeing an Endo, Rhumetologist, Urologist, Neurologist, Sleep dr., family dr and a physical medicine dr. I've had 3 24 hour urine done over the last 2 years, two showing almost 400mg/24h in calcium. I was told that these results were not correct because of the total urine volume was around 1000ml. The last 24 hour urine for a total urine volume of 2000ml, which showed a calcium of 270mg/24. My serum calcium during this time was 10.2 and 10.4. Had another serum calcium which was 9.4. My vitamin d level is 28. The endocrinologist keeps telling me that my symptoms do match my lab work. I have been doing some research on hyperparathyroidism and wondering if this could be my problem because of the RAI. I am desperate. I have no quality of life. I am 51 years old, I have 4 brothers and sisters, my parents are still living and none of them have the health problems I have. I feel like the doctors think that I just think something is wrong with me.Meds are Savella 25mg 2 times a day, Dextroamphetimines 7mg 3 times a day as needed. Zoloft 100mg, Protonix 40mg, Nadalol 20mg ( for migranes (migraines)), Estridiol 1 mg., Synthroid 75 mg., Tramadol 50 mg as needed. I have had a hysterectomy in 2000, a tubal preg, my amputation and lithotripisy 12 times in the last 4 and a half years. My tsh had been stable for around 10 years, since my car accident is has been unstable.
Tags: rai
97953_tn?1193367871
This may be an early primary hyperpara - you did not give PTH levels but in the setting of Ca 10.2-10.4 and lowish vit D and the h/o RAI -- I would be suspect for hyperpara as well.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now