Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
21 years after RAI
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

21 years after RAI

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in 1991 and had RAI. Have never felt the same again. Main complaint now and has been for 21 years is fatigue. I have fatigue, migraines, non-narcoleptic hypersominia, RLS, TMJ, kidney stones, GERD, Fibromalygia (fibromyalgia), depression, heat intolerance, dry eyes. 3 years ago I was in a car accident and had traumatic amputation of my right leg above the knee.I now walk well with a prosthesis.On most days I can hardly put one foot infront of the other. I am now having trouble sleeping at night. I'm seeing an Endo, Rhumetologist, Urologist, Neurologist, Sleep dr., family dr and a physical medicine dr. I've had 3 24 hour urine done over the last 2 years, two showing almost 400mg/24h in calcium. I was told that these results were not correct because of the total urine volume was around 1000ml. The last 24 hour urine for a total urine volume of 2000ml, which showed a calcium of 270mg/24. My serum calcium during this time was 10.2 and 10.4. Had another serum calcium which was 9.4. My vitamin d level is 28. The endocrinologist keeps telling me that my symptoms do match my lab work. I have been doing some research on hyperparathyroidism and wondering if this could be my problem because of the RAI. I am desperate. I have no quality of life. I am 51 years old, I have 4 brothers and sisters, my parents are still living and none of them have the health problems I have. I feel like the doctors think that I just think something is wrong with me.Meds are Savella 25mg 2 times a day, Dextroamphetimines 7mg 3 times a day as needed. Zoloft 100mg, Protonix 40mg, Nadalol 20mg ( for migranes (migraines)), Estridiol 1 mg., Synthroid 75 mg., Tramadol 50 mg as needed. I have had a hysterectomy in 2000, a tubal preg, my amputation and lithotripisy 12 times in the last 4 and a half years. My tsh had been stable for around 10 years, since my car accident is has been unstable.
Tags: rai
97953 tn?1440868992
This may be an early primary hyperpara - you did not give PTH levels but in the setting of Ca 10.2-10.4 and lowish vit D and the h/o RAI -- I would be suspect for hyperpara as well.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
May 21 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703