Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
2.7 cm nodule. Can you explain

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

2.7 cm nodule. Can you explain

what this means. The gland is of diffusely inhomogeneous echogenicity bilaterally.

The report also said a discrete solid nodule in left lobe measuring 2.7 cm in maximun diameter . Also a small echogenic nodule is also visible in the right lobe inferiorly measuring 4 mm in diameter.

aspiration needle biopsy of the dominant left lobe nodule

.
2.7cm is just over one inch -- it needs biopsy.  There is no size cut-off for removal or ablation -- this is usually based on FNA results or compressive symptoms.  

TPO antibodies, inhomogeneity and hypothyroidism all consistent with Hashimotos.
I forgot to add I take 50 mcg Eltroxin and 2.5 mcg Cytomel daily. My TPO antibodies are 815 .
Last TSH reading was .76
In simple terms means its structure is not reflecting ultrasound waves in same manner, some areas reflecting more, some area is reflecting less.
The ultrasound should indicate if the nodule has evidence of vascularity and if it has well defined borders (this will help in nodule diagnostics). If nodule is isoechogenic , as a general rule the chances for malignancy is 5%. As a modern rule all nodules larger then 1 cm must be biopsed; benign nodules larger then 3 cm are subject to ablation or removal.
The high TPO AB level indicates autoimmune condition, possible Hashimoto’s disease

I had an appointment with the endocrinologist Monday.  Thyroid was enlarged.  He did an ultrasound which showed multiply nodules on the right side that were at the need to monitor stage and one on the left side that had a reading of 1.6 cm. He said he needed to do a needle biopsy on the 1.6 cm which is schedule for today.  He did indicate that there is only a 5% chance of malignancy.  He believes I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.   Don't know how this will all play out in the end, but will take it one step at a time.  

Good Luck
Thank you everyone.  Mary