Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
8 months TT and still feel awful

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

8 months TT and still feel awful

I had a TT in Jan. for big nodules that were on both sides.  The TT was fine and all was benign.  I had no previous problems with thyroid and have been on a rollercoaster ever since the operation.  My Endo. started me on 175 Synthroid but was over medicated and taken to 150.  On my last visit he did a physical exam and said physically I was fine then my blood test came back and still shows overmedication.  He lowered my dose to 137.  I explained to him that I was so tired that I couldn't exercise and that my muscles had wasted away so fast and that some days I can't sleep and others I feel like I have taken a big tranquilizer.  His answer was "I don't know" and suggested that I go to my general dr. to see what else was wrong with me.  I am furious and confused he had no other advise for me and when asked what else could be wrong, said "I don't know".  Previous to Jan. I was an extremely active person in sports (four - five times a week in vigorous sports) and life and now I wake wondeing what the day will bring health wise.  My question to you is - is this rollercoaster normal and if I am okay after the physical exam (thyroid wise) should I assume it is something else other than thyroid even though my numbers are so out of wack?  It seems that with my height and weight I should be on a higher dose but so far on the 137 my symptoms are even more pronounced than the other doses (it's only been 2 1/2 weeks).  My number are these:  This is my last blood test but these numbers have been the same since Feb. with 3 previous blood tests.  I am 43, 200 lb. woman. 5'10"

Last blood test on 9/5/07:
TSH:  0.017 (0.350 - 5.5)
Tyroxine (T4) 14.4 (4.5 - 12.0)
T3 Uptake: 24 (24-39)
Free Thyroxine Index 3.5 (1.2 - 4.9)
Triiodothyronine (T3) 191 (85-205)

Thank you so much!!!
Your labs show hyperthyroidism -- too much synthroid -- this can be associated with insomnia nad muscle wasting.  Would continue to decrease the dose to target a TSH around 1.0.  At that point, could also consider combining synthroid with cytomel (ie, T4/T3 combination therapy).  But it's also important to look into other, non-thyroid issues.   Would also test prolactin as a screen for pituitary problems (not likely this issue here, but worth testing).