8 weeks pregnant and just diagnosed with hypothyroidism- sick with worry
Hi doctor
3 weeks ago when I was 8 weeks pregnant I had a routine pregnancy blood test and my tsh levels came back 17 which I understand is extremely high. After reading about this condition in pregnancy I am so worried that I have caused damage to the baby already. I read it can cause brain development problems etc.  I am of normal weight and had no major symptoms, apart from tiredness and bloatedness, but put that down to ibs and pregnancy. The gp put me on 50mg of euthyrox for 1 week and then 100mg thereafter.  I am so new to all this and am a bit lost about what to do, I am just so worried that my chilsd will have learning difficulties/ autism. I get my levels checked again in 1 week.  I am just concerned that this condition was never picked up before the pregnancy. Would be so grateful of some help/ reassurance. Thank you
There is a slight increased risk, but overall with the treatment you are now receiving, the risk of developmental problems is low.