Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
8 weeks pregnant and just diagnosed with hypothyroidism- sick with worr...
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

8 weeks pregnant and just diagnosed with hypothyroidism- sick with worry

Hi doctor
3 weeks ago when I was 8 weeks pregnant I had a routine pregnancy blood test and my tsh levels came back 17 which I understand is extremely high. After reading about this condition in pregnancy I am so worried that I have caused damage to the baby already. I read it can cause brain development problems etc.  I am of normal weight and had no major symptoms, apart from tiredness and bloatedness, but put that down to ibs and pregnancy. The gp put me on 50mg of euthyrox for 1 week and then 100mg thereafter.  I am so new to all this and am a bit lost about what to do, I am just so worried that my chilsd will have learning difficulties/ autism. I get my levels checked again in 1 week.  I am just concerned that this condition was never picked up before the pregnancy. Would be so grateful of some help/ reassurance. Thank you
97953_tn?1193367871
There is a slight increased risk, but overall with the treatment you are now receiving, the risk of developmental problems is low.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now