Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Acne and Hypothyroidism

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Acne and Hypothyroidism

I am 24 and have had acne for years. I have tried everything, I mean EVERYTHING (including accutane twice!) and although at certain times it is more under control, it has never completely gone away. It was getting much better about a year ago but then I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and have been taking levothyroxin (levothyroxine) for a couple of months now and the acne is back in full force. I am underweight for my age and height but have lots of problems with facial hair (way to much for a girl!) and excess body hair in general and extremely oily skin. I know that there is definitely an underlying problem with this acne and facial hair and feel that hormones must be in play. I am on birth control, but even when I was off of it I have very regular periods so I don't think that I have PCOS.  I am wondering if the hypothyroidism has anything to do with it? Any suggestions?
Tags: Hypothyroidism, and, Acne
If the hypothyroidism is controlled by thyroid hormone, then it is not likely a significant contributor.  Would consider asking your dermatologist, GYN or endocrinologist to test "male" hormones including 17-OH-Progesterone (a test of an uncommon adrenal disorder).
It sounds more so that you are having imbalances with your sex hormones (estrogen/testosterone) than with your thyroid hormones.  Look into getting your hormones checked.  They do blood tests mostly these days, although saliva tests are hugely helpful as well.