Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Amiodarone, Hyperthyroidism, and Small, but Growing Nodule
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Amiodarone, Hyperthyroidism, and Small, but Growing Nodule

Greetings,

My background:

Routine thyroid blood test by cardiologist regarding Crestor, etc. in Aug '12 reveals TSH 0.02, T4 1.9. T3 OK at 4.6 (little high): so, hyperthyroid. Primary care physician orders ultrasound and comes back with slightly enlarged right lobe and two nonspecific nodules, larger being .9 cm. PCP sends me to Endocrinologist - first appointment is early September. She looks over the paperwork and puts me on methimazole 10mg daily, says they don't normally biopsy anything under 1 cm and says I can't do an iodine uptake because I've been on amiodarone (for four years), which she says is likely the underlying cause of the problem.

We set a followup for three months or so which happened last Thursday (1/20). I stopped taking amiodarone immediately in September. No ill effects thus far. Result at followup last week is that I'm now hypothyroid, so methimazole is reduced to 5 mg daily. New ultrasound shows larger nodule is now 1.2 cm ("slightly" irregular). Biopsy is now scheduled for Jan 4 '13.

I'm having some intermittent minor neck pain on the right side (the affected lobe). Nothing unbearable, but irritating and concerning to me. No difficulty swallowing, but I can feel an ever-so-slight pressure when I'm laying down. Nodule is not visible: I can't even find it by palpating. Right side of neck seems slightly larger than left.

My questions:

- Is nodule growth reliably and accurately measured with ultrasound?

- If it is, then is growth of a nodule from .9 cm to 1.2 cm in four months' time a concern in the presence of the amiodarone-induced hyperthyroidism?

- Are there other symptoms I need to watch out for?

- What's the prognosis for amiodarone-related thyroid problems assuming one quits using it as I have?

Thanks so much in advance.
97953_tn?1193367871
Amio will stay in system for 6 months or more.  The nodule may be an area of inflammation (one common reason for amio induced hyper is thyroiditis) but the FNA is appropriate to confirm.  Prognosis in a mild situation like you describe is good for amio induced hyper.
2 Comments
Blank
Thanks.  Your comment was a very nice Christmas present!  Happy Holidays.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank