Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Are my FNA results conclusive? Do they suggest benign, nondiagnostic, ...
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Are my FNA results conclusive? Do they suggest benign, nondiagnostic, suspicious, ?

16 aspirate smear slides show varying degrees of cellularity, with many slides consisting predominantly of blood.  A few slides have fragments of tissue and smears of tissue.  Some fragments are thick and very difficult to evaluate.  In the better spread areas, the cells show a population of round cells consistent with lymphocytes.  There appear to be follicular cells intermixed in some areas, and the findings suggest Hashimotos thyroiditis.  Some slides show histiocytes with granular tan material and a few slides show fragments of colloid.  
97953_tn?1193367871
This depends - if the ultrasound and history are suggestive of Hashimoto's, then this may be appropriate, but it sounds like a borderline adequate sample that may merit a repeat FNA in 3 months to confirm.
2 Comments
Blank
I posted this last night and meant to add before all of the information on my fna that was taken on my thyroid that...I had an fna done on one of three nodules in my thyroid gland.  My ear, nose and throat doctor told me that there was only a 5-10% chance that it was malignant.  I went to an endo and she told me there was a 30% chance based on the findings.  I don't know what to do.  I have an upcoming appt with my regular physician to talk about the next step.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now