Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Autoimmune Thyroiditis

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Autoimmune Thyroiditis

I was recently(1/13) diagnosed with Autoimmune Thyroiditis. I have had the complete blood testing and ultrasound. I was started out on 25 mcg Levothorx. and now am at 75mcg.  I just had labs a couple of days ago to see how it is working and if my dosage needs to be changed.  I am curious in terms of my gland still feeling swollen and hurting.  Once my dosage is correct will this stop or is it something that continues off and on indefinitely? I was feeling some better for a few weeks yet now I am starting to feel worse again.  With the Autoimmune process.  Is it difficult to control in terms of keeping the levels regulated? Would there be a chance I would need to have it removed?  I also have been recently diagnosed with anemia and celiac during this whole ordeal.  It seems everything is autoimmune related.  My mom had Graves affecting both her eyes and skin condition.  My sister had post-partum thyroiditis yet her son is four so I don't see how it can be considered post-partum.  Thanks.
Tags: Thyroid
The discomfort we sometimes see with Hashimoto's (which you likely have) usually improves within 6-12 months and normalizing thyroid levels -  during this time we usually test every 6-8 weeks and adjust the dose to keep TSH normal (0.5-2.5 is goal on treatment usually)