Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Bergen County New Jersey Doctor Recommendations

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I had been diagnosed with having an underactive thyroid about 2 years ago and still am having trouble finding a doctor who really pays attention to what my symptons are as opposed to what my TSH/T3/T4 levels are (of course they are within the "normal" range but how I feel and what the numbers portray do not ever add up).  Would anyone be able to recommend a good doctor in Bergen County, NJ (I currently live in Mahwah) who would focus less on the "normality" of my levels and more on my symptoms.

By the way, I have to say that this is one of the best forums about thyroid disorder and I am so grateful to my husband for finding it for me!
I do not know of a doc in that area personally.  Hopefully someone will on the site.  Check out aace.com and thyroid.org -- you can find endocrinologists in your area.  I would make sure the TSH is around 0.5-1.0 given your description.
My message got sent too soon. I wanted to ask you if you know anything about the time released bio identical hormones of t3 and t4 from compounding pharmacies. I thinl the ratio is approximately 98 t4 2 t3. Do you know about Kenneth Blanchard and his recommendations?
When I swallow I can feel something on my thyroid. Does that mean I am on too little? I felt hyper from 2 gr armour but I had a low ferritin. I weigh approx 150 lbs and 5 4. how much aromur should I be on? I am still suffering with fatigue, shortness of breath and muscle weakness.
sicntired
You're asking about bioidentical hormones. That's what I am taking for my menopausal symptoms and T3 for my thyroid. Ihave to get them from a pharmacy in Dauphin,Manitoba,Canada. I don't know where you are from but that about a 2 hr. drive from where I live. The pharmacist there is quite knowledgeable about these hormones. Actually so is my doc. Hope that helps.

Hashi
I forgot to tell you that I also have low blood pressure. It started about three weeks ago. It's usually in the 90's/60's. Forum doc suggested to have my cortisol levels checked,so I check with my doc tomorrow.  Also the ratio for T4 and T3 is 80% T4 to 20% T3. Hope this was helpful.
There is a REALLY GOOD doctor in Paramus. His name is Dr. Thomas Cacciola. He is on Fairview Ave. I have been seeing him since Jan. He prescibes Armour Thyroid & doesn't always go by the test results. My TSH right now is .23 & my Total T3 is at 189 & my Free T4 is at 1.0. I am still suffering some symptoms & asked for an increase & he gave it to me. I sent one of my co-workers there & she loves him too. Trying to get my friend to go to him now.