Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Bradycardia with HYPERthyroid?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Bradycardia with HYPERthyroid?
I am a 47 year old female and for the last four years I have been having bradycardia. At first it was believed to be medication related but I have been of all meds for over a year now. My bradycardia is getting worse 40bpm and in the 40's. Resently I was tested for thyroid levels and they came back with a TSH of 12. I am told this is unusal with bradycardia. I am exhausted and weak all the time. What can cause these two things together? I also have a Avm in the right frontal lobe of the brain and have some artieries that are smaller than normal and have been told that my blood takes a different blood flow route than the normal. Hopefully this history will help. If I can get any info about this condition it would be helpful. Thank you
A TSH of 12 is hypOthyroidism (underactive) which can be associated with low heart rate and should be fixed before considering pacemaker placement for symptomatic bradycardia.