Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Brain trauma = changes in body, thyroid
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Brain trauma = changes in body, thyroid

I am a 31yo male that was in a motorcycle accident late 2009. I had 2 cranial fractures on the occipital region. Surgery went excellent considering my 20% chance of living.

Here's the facts..... Pre-acccident body temp normally hung around 99.1-99.3. High but normal for me. Constantly kept body weight healthy and averaged around 220. Built very strong and muscular.

Post accident.... Body temp 95.2-96.2, very hard to loose weight. I was laid up for 3 months and gained 40-50lbs. Since then very hard for me to loose anything.

Went and had a physical done, everything within norms. That being said not sure on my thyroid hormone level, but within normals of this physician.

I am a paramedic and understand that the physiological response is probably normal but wonder about my problems. 3 degrees is a huge difference. Trying to loose weight is going to be 3,4 times harder for me since my low temp. Plus to add s/s of hypothyroidism are present if family. I have an older brother who started turning grey at the age of 15-16. Mother has hypothyroid. Aunt on mother's side has a non-functioning thyroid and was taken out. I know about T3 and T4 but don't want to explore unless it is indicated.

So there's my questions, any advice would be of great help!
97953_tn?1193367871
"Thyroid symptoms" are very nonspecific and cannot be used to make a diagnosis - would rely on TSH and Free T4 to assess thyroid-pituitary axis.
2 Comments
Blank
1756321_tn?1377771734
With classic hypothyroidism symptoms, central hypothyroidism due to traumatic brain injury is a good possibility. It's worth testing TSH, free T4, and free T3.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now