Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
CT Scan - Calcification

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

CT Scan - Calcification

I recently had a CT scan of the neck associated with tonsillitis. The scan noted/confirmed I had enlarged palentine tonsils and a small calcification of my left thyroid lobe.  There was no mention of modules or masses. Associated issue, I was having discomfort in my right sublingual salivary gland and what I thought was intermittent pain of my lymph node under my rgiht jaw. Neither dentist or ENT found problem with salivary glands or lymph nodes. The CT scan seemed to confirm this. Dentist did note that the discomfort was coming from the right side of my thyroid gland not a lymph node. Do I need to pursue the calcification in my left lobe, not sure what it means or the significance? How about the intermittent discomfort in my right lobe, which is very irritating at times?
Yes, you should have a thyroid ultrasound and see an endocrinologist to evaluate this calcification.  It may require a biopsy.
I finally had un US, but not by an Endo (a mistake in retrospect). The result:

"the echotexture of the thyroid gland is homeogeneous.  The right lobe is 4.8x1.7x2.2 cm and the left lobe 3.8x2.1x1.6cm. The isthmus measures up to 3 mm in AP dimension. The is note of a nodule in the left upper pole which is a solid nodule, demonstrating some calcifications. This measure 8x7mm. We suggest further evaluation with FNA. A small 4x3mm calcified nodule is seen in the left lower pole.

Color doppler exam demostrates normal vascularity diffusely.
IMPRESSION: 2 calcified nodules are seen. Recommend FNA of the larger nodule.

Could you help me understand the significance of the findings?For example, is the comment on vascularity good or bad? Is "some calcifications" the same as microcalcifications? What about the echotexture comments. I am thinking of seeing an Endo for another US, which I should have done all along!