Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
CT scan results: hyperparathyroidism??
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

CT scan results: hyperparathyroidism??

Greetings! For hx, see other post “hyperparathyroidism”
Sestamibi scan negative
had a ct scan done looking for parathyroid adenoma, and they found a 3cm mass behind my clavicle (would you expect that to not show up on a sestamibi?)
"just below the the left lobe of the thyroid gland extending to the level of the thoracic inlet"

I am wondering what it means that "the mass shows a relatively low attenuation when compared to the thyroid gland, but Hounsfield units  measurements are of that of soft tissue and not cystic"
and "there is significant beam-hardening artifact extending through the lesion, and the housnfield units are measured at the very superior portion of the lesion at 45 units."  

"the mass is well defined and there is fat surrounding the lesion.  The lesion is continuous with the lower pole of the thyroid gland but is clearly separate from it.

I don't understand the attenuation, housnfield units, or beam hardening artifact and what that means about interpretation of the results.  likely an adenoma?  Likely a lymph node?
It is much larger that I would have expected based on my blood levels.

And are PT adenomas usually of the same composition?  As in, dense, hard, look the same on scans?  Or do they vary a lot?

I will still be following up with the Dr.  But I would like to know what someone else thinks.

Thank you