Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Calcifications on thyroid
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Calcifications on thyroid

was recently sent a note after an ultra sound ordered by my Dr. that stated "Your ultrasound showed presence of calcifications in the right lobe which is a benign finding. No other changes were present".  (I'm not sure what changes there could be, I've never had an ultrasound before)

This ultra sound was ordered after he thought he palpitated one side of my thyroid to be larger than the other during a routine annual exam.  I have been on synthroid for 10 years after being diagnosed hypothyroidism (TSH was nearly 400 when diagnosed orignally).  I was told by my first endocrinologist that antibodies to Hashimotos weren't present but then after having to change endos because of insurance the 2nd one told me I DID have the antibodies.  I do not currently see an endocrinologist and have just seen my GP (who ordered this ultrasound) for the past several years for annual TSH blood test.  He is the Dr who ordered the ultrasound.  

I am not sure how comfortable I am with just being told the findings are benign.  I had also mentioned to him feeling like my synthroid dose was  a little high and he ordered TSH levels checked but I've heard nothing back.  My dose has dropped gradually over the past 3-4 years, I'm now on .100 - was on .125.  Should I dig a little deeper or does this all sound "ok"?