Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Can Cold/Flu Medicine Affect Thyroid?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Can Cold/Flu Medicine Affect Thyroid?
I have Graves disease dxd Dec 2007, and have been on PTU since then and until about 2 weeks ago was feeling great. My last blood test was in Feb & all levels were normal. Then, about 2 weeks ago, I got the flu & took some over the counter cold & flu medicine. After taking it, I actually read the box & it said not to take if you have thyroid disease. Ever since then, I feel as if some of my symptoms are coming back (rapid heartbeat, anxiety, insomnia). I called my Endo & he is going to do another blood test, but do you think the cold/flu medicine can cause some kind of flare up in my Hyperthyroid symptoms?
cold/flu meds have decongestants (like pseudofed) that can increase blood pressure and heart rate -- they usually clear the system in a couple days.  It's worth testing thyroid again to be certain though.
I had a cold in early January and had gone to the pharmacy and asked what I could take and they told me to take an allergy med due (antihistimine) to the fact that cold meds alter your labs.  I never did ask my MD but I am assuming the pharmacist wouldn't state otherwise.