Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Can Cold/Flu Medicine Affect Thyroid?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Can Cold/Flu Medicine Affect Thyroid?

I have Graves disease dxd Dec 2007, and have been on PTU since then and until about 2 weeks ago was feeling great. My last blood test was in Feb & all levels were normal. Then, about 2 weeks ago, I got the flu & took some over the counter cold & flu medicine. After taking it, I actually read the box & it said not to take if you have thyroid disease. Ever since then, I feel as if some of my symptoms are coming back (rapid heartbeat, anxiety, insomnia). I called my Endo & he is going to do another blood test, but do you think the cold/flu medicine can cause some kind of flare up in my Hyperthyroid symptoms?