Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Can a Thyroid nodule be painful

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Can a Thyroid nodule be painful

have nontoxic multinodular goiter; my thyroid lobes are enlarged, right greater than left. Both appear homogeneous. There is a cystic nodule in the right upper pole and a solid nodule in the right lower pole measuring 7x6x8 mm. My thyroid function is normal.  The ultrasound's  result showed that the  solid nodule has not irregular border, not calcifications, and not blood flow. I have pain in my right front neck, mild hoarseness and tightness sensation. I have to question please: Can a benign thyroid nodule be painful? can I wait or postpone my surgery about 10 months without risk of having thyroid cancer? Thank you for your advise and answers.
The nodule size that you mention, 8 mm, it is quite small.  I would review these results with an endocrinologist who does his/her own ultrasound to confirm that the sensations that you're having are indeed due to the thyroid before considering having thyroid surgery.  Typically we do not biopsy nodules less than 10 mm.  Acid reflux is a very common cause for your symptoms.  Such reflux can occur even in the absence of "heartburn"
Dear Dr. Lupo, Thank you very much for your kindness in giving me such a important advice about me considering having thyroid surgery. I have to admit that my endocrinologist and my otolaryngologist didn't push me for this surgery and they have the same opinion than you. But I feel nervous of postponing my surgery for the future because I have read that thyroid pain can be one of the first warning signs of thyroid cancer (besides my mild hoarseness). My endocrinologist saw my ultrasound and said to me that the solid nodule seems to be benign because it has not irregular border, not calcifications, and not blood flow, but it should be confirms by biopsy which is not possible to perform at this time because of the small size of the nodule. After that, my endocrinologist referred me to the otolaryngologist because I have suffered of acid reflux; this doctor performed a laryngoscope flex test and found nothing wrong or serious inside my trout or vocal cords. My pain is not severe but is just on the area where I have the enlarged right lobe thyroid. I wonder if there is still another way  I could know if the pain is really due to the thyroid. Thank you again.
I am sorry, I spell bad, the word is not trout but throat.