Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Can a small cold thyroid nodule cause pain?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I have just been diagnosed with a small (4.8mm) cold nodule that is coming out soon. Since before then I had a week or so of throbbing pain and pressure in that area (doctor ignored it) and it sounds as if my voice is becoming a bit hoarse. My thyroid is otherwise of normal size. Since the ultrasound and examinations it has been shooting pains up into my ear and my neck is feeling irritated. Could this be from fiddling with it? Its so small its not really suppose to make symptoms is it?
4.8 MM is a very small nodule -- too small for a nuclear scan to call "cold" or "hot" so we don't know if it's cold.  It won't cause pain and usually there is no reason to remove these small nodules.  However the pain w/ radiation to ear could be thyroid inflammation (not likely related to nodule).  Would discuss this possibility w/ your endocrinologist as well as rediscuss indication for surgery.  Of course if you mean 4.8CM then these are usually removed and can cause symptoms like this.
Dr. Lupo, I went for an MRI and the nodule has mysteriously dissapeared?? Is this even possible? I saw it myself on the ultrasound and Radio active scan?? My lymphnodes however are enlarged on the MRI and will need a looking at.
how did this turn out for you? i have recently found small nodules but some throbbing in my jaw since the US and some neck tingling. Curious as to what you found out.