Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Cancerous Lymph Node in Teenager?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Cancerous Lymph Node in Teenager?

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am, indeed, an 18 year old, male/hispanic, hypochondriac. I am 5'9 and 125lbs.

Last year, I found a marble size, hard ball on the left side of my neck. It was deep in there, I actually
had trouble finding it every once in a while. It does not create a bulge whatsoever.
When I told my doctor about it, she said it was probably a swollen lymph node due to a cold or infection. I also
had a complete blood test and it came back normal.
Well, that was last year. This week, I looked for it again, and it is still there. I'm so worried because
I am fearing the worst: lymphoma, thyroid cancer or some sort of throat tumor. This entire year, it hasn't bothered me. It has not grown, or caused pain. I also have not had any physical symptoms. I actually feel really healthy and energetic. Since I was a child, I've had fairly enlarged tonsils, even under my chin. Doctors always said I could have them removed but that it wasn't necessary.

My questions:

-If I've had this "ball mass" for 1.5+ years, maybe more, and it if it was some sort of cancer, wouldn't any symptoms/signs/changes have appeared by now?
-can enlarged lymph nodes from previous infections (enlarged tonsils/tonsilitis) stay large for a number of years?
- Can some lymph nodes naturally be large in size and be benign?
- Are cysts in the neck common in teens?
-In general, does it sound like it could potentially be cancer? Although I've been feeling extremely healthy this past year?

Thank You so much!
Most of these are benign "reactive" lymph nodes but sometimes a fine-needle biopsy is needed to confirm this -- would discuss further with your doctor.