Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Cancerous Lymph Node in Teenager?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cancerous Lymph Node in Teenager?

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am, indeed, an 18 year old, male/hispanic, hypochondriac. I am 5'9 and 125lbs.

Last year, I found a marble size, hard ball on the left side of my neck. It was deep in there, I actually
had trouble finding it every once in a while. It does not create a bulge whatsoever.
When I told my doctor about it, she said it was probably a swollen lymph node due to a cold or infection. I also
had a complete blood test and it came back normal.
Well, that was last year. This week, I looked for it again, and it is still there. I'm so worried because
I am fearing the worst: lymphoma, thyroid cancer or some sort of throat tumor. This entire year, it hasn't bothered me. It has not grown, or caused pain. I also have not had any physical symptoms. I actually feel really healthy and energetic. Since I was a child, I've had fairly enlarged tonsils, even under my chin. Doctors always said I could have them removed but that it wasn't necessary.

My questions:

-If I've had this "ball mass" for 1.5+ years, maybe more, and it if it was some sort of cancer, wouldn't any symptoms/signs/changes have appeared by now?
-can enlarged lymph nodes from previous infections (enlarged tonsils/tonsilitis) stay large for a number of years?
- Can some lymph nodes naturally be large in size and be benign?
- Are cysts in the neck common in teens?
-In general, does it sound like it could potentially be cancer? Although I've been feeling extremely healthy this past year?

Thank You so much!
97953_tn?1193367871
Most of these are benign "reactive" lymph nodes but sometimes a fine-needle biopsy is needed to confirm this -- would discuss further with your doctor.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now