Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Cold spot on thyroid

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Cold spot on thyroid
Just got a call from my primary doctor and was told that my Nuclear scan that was done on my thyroid last week shows a "cold spot".  He has referred me to a surgeon and says he wants it out right away.  What does this mean?  What are the chances it is cancer.  What is the percent of metasasis? I am a 40 year old female.
Cold does not mean cancer -- you need a biopsy first under ultrasound guidance.  There is only a 5-10% risk of cancer and a biopsy will help sort out if you need surgery.
THEY ARE REMOVING THE RIGHT LOBE ON THE 3RD OF AUGUST.
I would do an FNA before considering surgery.
A related discussion, I have a cold spot was started.