Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Common cold

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Common cold

I am scheduled for a Total Thyroidectomy for my substernal goiter in 1 1/2 wks. However, today I woke up with a bad cold. I am scheduled this week for my pre-op tests. Is 1 1/2 wks enough time to recover from a cold and have surgery? Should I postpone my pre-op tests? I would really like to have the surgery as scheduled since I am going on vacation in 2 months and if the surgery is postponed may not be able to go on vacation(nor receive a refund). I live in Florida so I wouldn't want to have any type of surgery during the summer months (hurricane season) and would have to wait until the fall. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
You should be okay if it is a simple cold -- go ahead with pre-op testing and let them know you have a cold though.
Just as a follow-up. I went to my Primary Physician for medical clearance and was told that since I still had a bad cold and very congested, the surgery would be postponed and was given antibiotics to take. Also, an EKG was performed in the doctors office (administered by her nurse) and the results showed a possible anterior infarction to which I was shocked to find out the result. I have never had heart problems nor is there hx of heart disease in my family and my BP is 120/70.

Any thoughts on the EKG results would be greatly appreciated.