Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Conversion from Armour to Synthroid

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Conversion from Armour to Synthroid

Hi Dr. Mark,

You answer plenty of questions so I don't imagine you remember my history. Very quickly, I have Graves disease & TED. I was treated with I-131 2 years ago & have been on Armour since. Prior to my hyperthyroid development I had been hypo & was on Synthroid for 23 years & seemed to do well for the most part until the Graves hit. My eyes are now pretty much ok, in the past year (I've had two decompressions & eye muscle surgery on the rt. & ptosis surgery on the lt.eye. One more to go to bring my rt. lower lid back up. Finally :-)

On 02/01/07 lab was
TSH       0.10 (0.40-5.50) a little low but my doctor has been paying attention to the free t-3 & free t-4 also.
Free T-3  375  (230-420)
Free T-4  1.3  (0.8-1.8)

I've been on Armour 180mg (90mg in AM & 90mg in PM). For insurance purposes I need to switch to Synthroid. I do not want my levels to go crazy again. Can you give me any idea what the dose of Synthroid I will need to replace the Armour. My doctor had no idea but gave me a script for 0.75 mcgs to start with. Can you help us?

Thank You, It's good to have you back.
Jean

0.075mg is too little -- would likely need to start with 0.137-0.150mg and check labs every 4-6 weeks until stable -- you may even need as much as 0.175-0.200.   -- it is important to keep the TSH stable given the TED.  Also consider just paying out of pocket for the armour rather than incurring the high insurance copay.  Good luck.

In using conversion tables at the higher doses (ie 180mg) I have found the 'equivalent' synthroid dose to be too high several times.....
If you go to Armour Thyroid's website and click on their FAQ's, you'll find a conversion table.  (It's the first question listed.)  Hope this helps!  
Can you give me that exact web address, I can't seem to bring it up.
Thanks,
Jean
I found the info Julie...Thanks so much
Hi. My wife took Synthroid for two years before switching to Armour. She paid $10.00 co-pay for Synthorid and then paid $10.00 co-pay for Amrour. She nows pays under $5.00 for a 30 day supply of Armour by paying cash for her at Target. Check it out the cash price for Armour. It might be cheaper than your co-pay. It might pay not to switch. Her symptoms decreased with Armour.
somewhere2007,

I'm considering it. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Jean
Hi, just found this forum.....I challenge you and beg you to go to another website and find the information there that will dissuade you from changing from Armour to Synthroid ($yncrap).  You have no idea the difference in your life from one to the other.  No matter what it costs out of your pocket, stay on Armour.  Here is the website:

Stopthethyroidmadness.com

I would have spent any amount of money to have been on Armour since RAI for Graves these last 15 years instead of the synthetics.  

Olyveoil
Suffers, Suffered, Suffering
I totally agree!!!  DO NOT go off from the armour.  It's a guarantee you will feel worst than ever- I would never go back to synthroid for anything- it's complete junk and it only makes things worst.  Why would you go back to a synthetic drug when your taking some natural that a normal thyroid produces?