Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Cortisol spike at night & depression
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cortisol spike at night & depression

I am a 35yo male and have been suffering form severe depression and low libido so I had some testing done.  I submitted a saliva neuro adrenal test by Genova labs and all my neurotransmitters were way low and the cortisol levels are as follows...9:30am=5.2 ( range 7.0-10), 2:30pm=8.3 (range 3.0-6.0), 7:30pm=13.8 (range 2.0-4.0), 12:30am=8.1 (range <1.5).  So my cortisol is spiking at 7:30pm which is completely backwards.  My DHEA was 285.2 (range 63-644).  My libido and energy are severely low and have been expreriencing severe depression for 4yo.  I was on narcotic pain medicine for a sever knee injury for 5 years and when I detoxed from the pain meds I have had all the symptoms stated. I as well I just had my testosterone checked and haven't received the results yet.  Any help is much appreciated!  Thanks in advance...
2 Comments
Blank
You should have your thyroid hormones checked as well both low thyroid and low testosterone can cause symptoms as you describe.  Be aware, the standard lab ranges they use for testosterone are _not_ age adjusted. And most doctors dismiss low testosterone out of hand,

Come back and post your testosterone levels with ranges when you get them.
Blank
I got my testosterone results and they were high, 954.  Which is puzzling, if my cortisol is high shouldn't my test be low?  Thyroid was fine as well.  Any thoughts or ideas?  Thanks much
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank