Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Cyst on thyroid
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cyst on thyroid

I have a cyst on my thyroid which has been checked using FNA.  I have been told that the cyst is not cancerous but that it does have a solid component, but I know no more than that, other than that I am due to have it removed in 5 weeks.  I just don't know whether I want to have it removed.  I have read on the internet about 'complex cysts' and the fact that they can become a problem in the future, but does it sound like that is what my cyst is?  I just hate the thought of having surgery and being left with a scar if it is of no benefit to me, as the lump is currently causing me no problems.  And advice or information would be appreciated.  
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
If the cyst is benign on FNA (>95% of cysts are benign) and it is not bothering you -- ie, not hoarse or having choking problems, then why surgery?  Cysts can grow -- in these cases they may need to be removed but can also be drained, or in expert hands have ethanol injected (if the cyst meets certain criteria).
3 Comments
Blank
That's what I'm not sure about.  They said that the cyst can be drained but that the solid component will never go away and that is why they have recommended surgery.  I also seem to remember them mentioning that it is possible that some solid lumps can become cancerous in the future, but I'm not sure if that's what my lump is.  I'm so confused because everyone is telling me different things.
Blank
HI I HAVE A COMPLE NODULE THAT HAS GROWN IN 7YRS AND I HAVE HOARENESS, PAIN IN EAR,NECK AND SORE THROAT ALOTS. TSH 30 NODULE 5.2X2.6X2.6CM. I ALSO HAD 5 FNA A ITS SHRINKS JUST FOR A LITTLE BUT THE FLUID COMES BACK.  AND A COMPLEX IS CONSIDERED TO BE A SOLID.   MY DR SAYS MINE IS RISKY CUZ OF PRIOR THYROID SURGERY 18 YRS AGO HAS SCAR TISSUE AND THEY AFRAID OF MY VOCAL CORDS??  YOU NEVER KNOW ABOUT THE CANCER UNTIL SURGERY.  THE SCAR ON YOUR NECK AFRAID SURGERY SEEMS ALWAYS TURNS  OUT GOOD.  I WISH YOU THE BEST!! ZINDY
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now