Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Dark patch of skin on shin

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Dark patch of skin on shin

Just prior to being dx with hypothyroidism I noticed a dark patch of skin on my shin. It has been about a year now and it has grown in size (approx. the size of a business card). It looks like a bruise, is shiny and warm to the touch. I thought it was pretibial myexedema, but my endo say PTM is usually raised and bumpy. He is referring me to a dermatologist.

Any ideas what this could be? It doesn't hurt, but is unsightly.
Thanks!
Does not sound like classic myxedema -- and usually myxedema is caused by Graves, not hypothyroidism (but it's possible).  The dermatologist will likely do a biopsy -- hopefully that will determine the cause.
I've read that people with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) can get brown/gray patches on their skin.  Have your LH/FSH levels checked. If the numbers are far apart, that could indicate PCOS.

It may not be PCOS but it's good to rule out.

I am hypothyroid/PCOS and there seems to be some link between the two diseases.  

I hope you find your answer soon.