Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Dark patch of skin on shin
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dark patch of skin on shin

Hello,

Just prior to being dx with hypothyroidism I noticed a dark patch of skin on my shin. It has been about a year now and it has grown in size (approx. the size of a business card). It looks like a bruise, is shiny and warm to the touch. I thought it was pretibial myexedema, but my endo say PTM is usually raised and bumpy. He is referring me to a dermatologist.

Any ideas what this could be? It doesn't hurt, but is unsightly.
Thanks!
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
Does not sound like classic myxedema -- and usually myxedema is caused by Graves, not hypothyroidism (but it's possible).  The dermatologist will likely do a biopsy -- hopefully that will determine the cause.
2 Comments
Blank
I've read that people with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) can get brown/gray patches on their skin.  Have your LH/FSH levels checked. If the numbers are far apart, that could indicate PCOS.

It may not be PCOS but it's good to rule out.

I am hypothyroid/PCOS and there seems to be some link between the two diseases.  

I hope you find your answer soon.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker