Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Difficulty Swallowing Thyroid connection?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I have had about 5 or 6 episodes this year of difficulty swallowing.  It is always the same, I start to feel mild flu-like symptoms, achey joints, stiffness, night sweats, mild chills (feels like a low grade fever maybe?) and for about a week or so it is difficult to swallow...feels like a lump in front of neck, about where thyroid is located.  I can even see that it is enlarged from the outside of my neck.  I would chalk it up to a virus, but the exact same symptoms keep reoccuring and I do not actually have sore throat tissues just a feeling like I am being karate chopped in the throat when I swallow or like I am swallowing an egg sideways.  I suspected I might have a thyroid problem so I went to be tested and everything came back normal.  I was shocked because besides these weird "episodes" I am always severely fatigued, have joint/muscle pain every morning in feet and hands, muscle weakness, stiffness, a lack of concentration and have gained over ten pounds this year.  Sounded classic thyroid to me from my own research.  After two rounds of "normal" thyroid test results my doctor refused to refer me to an endocrinologist saying that I will just have to accept that my thyroid is fine.  She had no explaination for what else these episodes could be but said that the thyroid doesn't work that way...enlarging and decreasing.  My question is, could there be a syndrome where I get reoccurant thyroiditis or could it be that it is kind of sputtering on and off?  Does this sound like hashimotos to you?  Any other illnesses that you know of with these symptoms?  She also tested for rheumatoid arthritis and that came back a "no" as well.  I am sick of living at a very low energy level and really want to get to the bottom of this without spending thousands on a medical wild goose chase. Thank you.
If you have had 2 separate sets of normal thyroid function tests, then the thyroid hormone production is probably fine.  That does not exclude a thyroid enlargement that could interfere with swallowing.  Thyroid ultrasound is best to assess size and presence of nodules.

The low energy level is not likely thyroid if your tests are consistently normal.