Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Discharge form BREAST from hypothyroid? HELP so worried

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hi doctor, I have a question

I have hypothyroid/hashis
and I had some milky white discharge form my breast, i am so worried about this, a friend tells me that its all hormonal, but i am worried I also read that thyrroid disorder causes milky discharge let me know if you have seen cases like this thanks, by the way when i tried seeing if more came out it afterwards nothing came out, it just happened once today/
Usually breast discharge is only seen in very hypothyroid patients where the pituitary (part of the brain that makes hormones) releases extra Prolactin (hormone that induces breast milk) in addition to the TSH (hormone that communicates with the thyroid).  

If your hashi/hypo is controlled (ie normal TSH) then it is not likely the thyroid problem.

In either case, would test a prolactin level.
I have breast discharge too, and it can be from hypo, I also have Hashimoto's.
Hypothyroidism causes all sorts of hormone imbalances.  The pituitary gland causes prolactin levels to increase causing the milky discharge.  At least that is how it was explained to me.
Lipitor
A related discussion, hypothyroid secetion from breast was started.