Dr. Lupo
Hi Dr. Lupo,

I have a couple questions.  Does hypo or hyper thyroid cause swelling in your fingers?
I had hashimotos with multi nodular goiter with a TT in 2002.  Can I still have hashimotos and symptoms with negative antibodies since my TT?  What thyroid blood tests would you recommend to get a full picutre if my tsh is 1.37 and FreeT4 1.1 and I am having many hypo symptoms?
Thank you.
Your levels are normal - the removal of the thyroid in your case resolved the autoimmune attack on the thyroid (hashimotos).  Unfortunately, symptoms of hypo are nonspecific and only about 30% of people with "classic symptoms" actually have thyroid dysfunction.  The swelling is not likely related with the normal TSH.  The only possible addition would be considering adding  a low dose of T3 (cytomel) to see how you do.  If the finger swelling continues, consider a rheumatologic evaluation as well --- not likely, but could be another type of autoimmune attack.