Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Dr. Lupo
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dr. Lupo

Hi Dr. Lupo,

I have a couple questions.  Does hypo or hyper thyroid cause swelling in your fingers?
I had hashimotos with multi nodular goiter with a TT in 2002.  Can I still have hashimotos and symptoms with negative antibodies since my TT?  What thyroid blood tests would you recommend to get a full picutre if my tsh is 1.37 and FreeT4 1.1 and I am having many hypo symptoms?
Thank you.
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
Your levels are normal - the removal of the thyroid in your case resolved the autoimmune attack on the thyroid (hashimotos).  Unfortunately, symptoms of hypo are nonspecific and only about 30% of people with "classic symptoms" actually have thyroid dysfunction.  The swelling is not likely related with the normal TSH.  The only possible addition would be considering adding  a low dose of T3 (cytomel) to see how you do.  If the finger swelling continues, consider a rheumatologic evaluation as well --- not likely, but could be another type of autoimmune attack.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now