Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
EXTREME WEIGHT GAIN AND SWELLING IN THE LAST MONTH

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I have a Goiter and I'm scheduled for a complete removal on Nov 8, 2006.  I have recently gained 14 pounds in the last 30 days and have had a problem with swelling of my hands, legs as well is this normal?  My doctor states my blood work is fine but I'm always extremely fatigue he states this is not attributed to my Goiter and has not diagnosed me as hypothyroid but I really disagree.  I've tried numerous diets and I exercise but continue to gain weight with no success of weight loss? What can I do to help prevent further weight loss or swelling while I'm awaiting the removal of my goiter?
This is not normal, but unless you have a low thyroid it is not due to the goiter itself in most cases.
What does your doctor mean by "fine" regarding your blood work? Do you have actual numbers? Some doctors still consider a TSH as high as 6 to be normal. I felt horrid at 4.2. I had to find a doctor who considerd an abnormal TSH to be anything over 2.5 before I got treatment. You should find out what "normal" is and if it's over 2 then find a new doctor.
I don't have actual numbers. I see everyone that has commented on this site are pretty educated about the numbers and its a foreign language to me. I actually plan to change doctors after the removal of my goiter.  I have already set my appointment for my first visit after the removal of my goiter with new doctor.