Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Elevate thyroid Peroxidase ab

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Elevate thyroid Peroxidase ab

I am currently experiencing pain and swelling of the  joints in both my pinky fingers.   Both are getting bent inward and look somewhat deformed.   I also have pain in the joints of my hands.   My knees, arms and legs and neck are always in pain.    At the end of a 7 hour work day,  I feel like if was picked up off the ground and dropped crushing every bone in my body.  
I went to my family doctor.  He tested me for rheumatoid arthritis which was negative and other autoimmune diseases.  Only thing that came out abnormal was the peroxidase ab 577.0.   T4 normal. Tsh normal.  
I have a goiter of the thyroid, nodules, pain.    After numerous years of blood work, scans and endocrinologists.  This is the first time  something has been found really out of common with my thyroid.    
My doctor sent me pain medication and anti inflammatory medicine  Diagnosed that instead of the thyroid being the focus of the peroxidase anti bodies that my joints are.  
Question.
what now. I'm only 50 and feel like I'm 90.  I don't want hands to get deformed    My fingers are my bread and butter (typist)  Do I spend my life taking pain killers and anti inflammatories.   The doctor is not treating the cause of the problem only trying to ease the results.   Is there treatment for a normally functioning thyroid ? Would this indicate the need to have thyroid surgery?
With Hashimoto's but normal thyroid function, medication is not mandatory, but a trial of low dose levothyroxine (25mcg for example) may be worthwile.  With the goiter/nodules, you may want to see an endocrinologist for consideration of biopsy and further advice.
Can you explain what might make thyroid nodules dissolve/disappear?  I'm greatful that they have, however,I am curious. I stopped the normal course of meds... Levothyroxine, as I felt so horrible taking the meds.  In doing so, I took Iodoral for a few weeks and changed my diet to include foods higher in iodine content (salmon, tuna, etc).  I wonder if the change in my diet was more helpful than any of the prescribed treatment.  Can you provide feedback on this and information on T4 type supplements??