Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Elevated TSH and high T4

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Elevated TSH and high T4

I am 23 years old and I just had a whole bunch of tests done just to give my doctor a baseline.  My TSH was 5.388 and my T4 was 12.3, my doctor said this is not normal for them to both be elevated and she wants to repeat the tests in about 8 wks.  My question is after reading about this, isn't it possible that birth control can interfere with these tests results, I am currently taking Yaz and have been for about 6 months.  I am also on isoniazid for a positive PPD I had, could that have possibly caused these elevated results?  If they do come back high again and it is not being caused by anything, what does it more than likely indicate?  Thank you for your time.
The Yaz (estrogen containing) increases the Total T4 - so that explains the 12.3.

The TSH is a bit high suggestive of early hypothyroidism.  Would retest as suggested and if TSH still high, check thyroid antibodies to confirm the likely diagnosis of Hashimotos.