Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Enlarged thyroid due to goiter

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Enlarged thyroid due to goiter
TSH normal, thyroid scan showed enlarged thyroid, thyroid uptake showed enlarged thyroid due to goiter - no hot or cold nodules.  Now, it's up to me - what do I do?  My doctor said I could go to an endocrinologist for a consultation.  ??  What more will the endocrinologist do?  Wondering what I should do.  Do I need a biopsy?  Do I need it removed?  
Nodules are common and the TSH is usually normal. The scan did not help the evaluation.  About 10% of nodules are cancer - meaning most are benign and if they are not causing pressure symptoms, monitoring is usually all that is necessary.
Ultrasound by an endocrinologist to help determine if a biopsy is needed should be the next step.
I had no symptoms, the doctor noticed my thyroid was enlarged on physical exam so had lab work done which was normal.  Then had the ultrasound done which showed enlarged thyroid.  Then the Dr. had me have the uptake which showed nodules.  Now the Dr. is leaving it up to me as to whether to go to an endocrinologist for further consultation.   Does tan endocrinologist need to review the ultrasound I have had done?
I had an ultrasound done first and then the uptake/scan (done with taking pill).
an endocrinologist can evaluate the US images that have already been done as a first step in the evaluation.