Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
FNA Results ?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

FNA Results ?

Here is the diagnosis on my FNA:

specimen adequacy: satisfactory but limited by partially obscuring thick areas and lack of
follicular cells

no malignant cells seen - numerous bland polymorphous lymphocyts suggestive of lymphocytic thyroiditis
RARE FOLLICULAR CELLS, SOME WITH HURTHLE CELL FEATURES (The bold is mine)

My Endo sent me to surgeon for 2nd opinion and he recommends I wait - I have a follow up in 3 months to have an ultrasound to see if my nodule has grown (It is 4 X 9)

Does this sound like good advise??  
I know the hurthle cells can not be diagnosed as benign or malignant under mircorscope  - diagnosis must be made with tissue sample.
What bothers me is the fact that if there are not many follicular cells in my sample and some are Hurthle cells what are the chances that the majority are hurthle cells?

Any responses appreciated!!

Thanks
Debbie