Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
FSH and LH levels Possible Pituitary problem?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

FSH and LH levels Possible Pituitary problem?

My question is I have a High FSH level of 164.3 and the top range for that is 113.0 by this lab that did my test. this is for postmenapausal women. I had a hyst in "97", since october I have had dizziness more disturbances of the eyes, headaches behind the eyes, Malaise, Fast heart rate, arrythmias, when i eat this happens more with the heart and I do get tachy at times as well. I just feel very bad, cant do anything. my question is if i am that high out of range with the FSH by 51 pints can there be something wrong with my pituitary gland? My LH was 48.6 and cut off in post men is like 58.00. I am having a cortisol ck today, it will not be back for 5 days though. I have felt the whole time it was someting to do with my pituitary or adrenal glands all this stuff affecting my heart. I have had the heart tests, and no big problems there they tell me.
Please anyone with the answer of why the FSH is so high out of range...
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
It is likely high b/c of menopause - would talk to your GYN about it as well.  To test thyroid would do TSH and Free T4 -- if normal, this would be another reassurance that pituitary is just doing it's job.
4 Comments
Blank
415923_tn?1257281549
By the way my thyroid is fine i was on synthroyd for yrs for just being in the high range area, not out of range. Well when all the cardiac stuff started I was taking to much i went down on the med it continued and they told me to stop taking it, i did and have been cked over four months now numerous times, and its fine...
Blank
415923_tn?1257281549
Ok so this means it is ok even though the high range stops at 113.00 for post menapausal and mine is 163.4. The dr like I said did a cortisol level yesterday and 24 hour urine catch for potassium loss which runs in my family for no reason, without diurectics and such...
Thanks again Dr. Lupo
Kristi
Blank
97953_tn?1193367871
potassium loss could be due to hyperaldosteronism (adrenal problem) -- that would not increase FSH and having an FSH above the normal menopause range usually is not a pathologic problem, but would check with GYN about that.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now