Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Feeling of being choked

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Feeling of being choked

I have been sick for about 3 months with a cough, fatigue, losing hair, my right eye is swollen underneath, lump in my throat and pain in my neck. I have been to my family doctor, who said I had bronchitis. She sent me to a pulmonary doctor who said it was not in my lungs. He sent me to an ENT who sent me for a thyroid ultrasound. Today I went to the ER because the feeling of being choked and the pain in my neck was so bad. They had the results of my ultrasound and said I have 3 cysts/nodules. 1 is small and 2 are about 3cm. I should say that in 2008 I had my right side of my thyroid removed because of a large nodule. It was not cancer. My TSH blood work comes back normal everytime although its been a little over 3 months since I last had it checked. The ER doc told me there was nothing of concern with my ultrasound. He said the swelling of my right eye is just bags under my eyes (although I do not have that on my left eye) and said i probably have GERD and it is making me feel like my throat was swelling.  He gave me some kind of drink that had latacane and numbed my throat but it did nothing for the pressure I am feeling. I can feel the lump in the front of my neck and it hurts when I press on it.  I feel like this is all due to Hypothyroidism but none of the doctors seem to want to agree. I just pretty much keep getting blown off by everyone. When I left the ER today, my blood pressure was 167/107 which Im sure is from the pain Im having. But again, nothing was done.  What do I do?  I feel horrible every day and its getting worse. Please help. Oh, if it matters, Im a 44 yr old female. Any advise or similar stories would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
The nodules that are 3cm need FNA biopsy. These may be large enough to cause symptoms you are having --
Would test TSH and T4 as well as thyroid antibodies to help confirm normal thyroid status.  GERD is a common cause of throat symptoms as well.