Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Feeling of fullness in the throat

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Feeling of fullness in the throat

My thyroid ultrasound came back normal.  No nodules were found.  Both lobes were within normal sizes.  I was just wondering why I am feeling a fullness in my throat like something is stuck there especially when swallowing, but nothing painful.  My TSH is low and my FT4 is within normal.
Often fullness/sticking is NOT thyroid -- ask an ENT to check it out first.  Thyroid seems fine in your case.
I don't know the answer to your question but often (not constantly) it feels like something is pressing on my throat (like someone is squeezing it), the doctors have told me that my thyroid gland isnt enlarged and that its just the muscles in my neck tightening but i reckon it's to do with thyroid. not sure what my TSH is at the moment but i seem to have been getting it since taking thyroxine.
I get this too,...occassionally. It comes and goes. They did do an ultra sound 2 years ago, maybe a little longer, and they said my thyroid was covered with nodules...I suppose none were too large, as they told me none were "worrisome". (Air Force Hospital, so who knows?)  A year later, I had it ultrasounded again at my other clinic, [Kaiser] and they said "no nodules, no enlargement", although they could see some damage to the gland itself. They CAN go away with treatment, from what I hear/read. : )

Well, it didn't seem to make any difference, nodules or no nodules...I occassionally eat and food feels "stuck" at bottom of my throat. Especially apples! I usually drink a lot to wash it down, or have to eat something else to "push it down".

Also when I take my vitamins, some of the larger one's will feel just "stuck"....for quite a while. Icky feeling, but doesn't happen too often, and not so bad I can't live with it. Oh, and I forgot to mention this....I used to start choking on my own spit, often....just sitting here at the computer, or whatever, and I would [unintentionally]  inhale a tiny bit of saliva down the wrong "pipe". I'd feel a little choked up. I told one of my hypo GF's and she said she would get the same thing. Now I find out that a few of my non hypo friends do that too, and I heard that "age" had something to do with it. (something about that little "flapper" thing is wearing out??)

Anyway...I just don't worry about it too much, (at all really) as it doesn't happen that often, and I just see so many people on these various thyroid boards that report all kinds of throat symptoms....I think it just goes with the territory. Yesterday I had a sore throat all day long....that comes and goes too....but not often.  If's it's only for a day, and not very often, I don't worry about it...if it's ever over 1 day, I will go to see my Dr. I swear, if I ran to my Dr. for every ache and pain and strange weird symptom this disease gives me, I would be going everyday....no kidding....so I just ignore a lot of stuff..maybe I'm strange....

I don't know how bad you throat symptoms are, but if they are just occassional, like mine, I would try not to worry....unless of course it interferes with your breathing, eating, swallowing, etc.

Good luck and God bless....
CarlyFan
When you see an ENT have them do a thorough exam to make sure no cysts or anything like that higher up in the neck along the trachea  ....An ENT will most likely do a painelss scope inside (thru the nose) to see what is or isn't going on in the trachea, etc.

Cheryl
A related discussion, Throat Fullness was started.