Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Feels like something in neck, heart pumping hard, body buzzing- thyroid...

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Feels like something in neck, heart pumping hard, body buzzing- thyroid related?

I started with a migraine headache and sinusitus in May.  Then, I started feeling buzzing in the head/neck, along with a feeling of something "stuck" in the neck area (kind of in the voice box area).  I had mildly enlarged neck glands, and even had pain in the muscles surrounding the voice box.  The pain died down, but I am still having the feeling of something stuck in neck.  My serum calcium is 10.9, ionized calcium is 6.1.  I've had elevated calcium levels before (over past year).  I have ongoing isssues with tummy pain (inflammation of the duodenom), and recurring pain in my ribs (9 months).  My 24 hour urine cortisol is 52.8.  My TSH is .8, and I believe this number has reduced from the same time last year ( I think it was around a 2.0 last year).  I have insomnia, can't focus, feel like the inside of my body is "wired", even though I am physically tired.  I feel exhausted.  I tire easily.  I can't stand getting hot.  I sweat sometimes for no real reason.  I am also having problems with my blood pressure dropping when I sit up/stand up.  I  am having to consume extra sodium and fluids to keep up the blood pressure.  I have buzzing in my body (groin, legs, feet, abdomen, and head).  I have tinnitus and my heart beats hard (I can feel it beating hard).  I experience decreased facial sensation, and heart palpitations.  Sometimes, my thumb shakes for no apparent reason.  My dr. thinks I may have autonomic dysfunction.  1) Based on my history, do you think autonomic dysfunction is at play here? 2)  Does this sound like it could be thyroid related?
The thyroid looks fine.  Would check parathyroid (PTH level) however as this may be the cause of the high calcium which can cause some of your symptoms.  

Autonomic dysfunction behaves this way as well....
I just found out that I have hyperthyroid about 3 months ago.  My heart races and I check my blood pressure and its alright but my heart rate was 125.  I saw the endocrinologist she wasnt very informative.  I am taking propranolol now.  The propylthiouracil was breaking me out really bad.  I feel that I don't have any choices.  And I cant sleep with my heart racing.  What do I do?
Well, it turns out I have a thyroid nodule on the left side of my thyroid.  I guess that explains the feeling of "something being stuck in my throat."  I am supposed to see an endocrinologist in August.  My primary care doctor says that I am being referred for a thyroid scan, as well as a fine needle aspiration to determine whether the nodule is benign or malignant.  Regardless of whether the nodule is benign or malignant, the doctor says that the nodule could be what has been causing a lot of my symptoms.

In the meantime, I am extremely anxious and continue to have my symptoms, which make it difficult to try to relax or sleep.  I am very scared to have a needle placed in my neck -- I recently had a spinal tap, and it was PAINFUL.  I have now developed an intense aversion to needles -- even if they are just drawing blood...

I'm not sure what to tell you about your condition.  Has your doctor considered whether you have something called "subclinical hyperthyroidism".  This is where some thyroid numbers are normal, but others aren't??  Maybe you should seek a second opinion from another endorcrinologist?
You TSH is low which is typical in hyperthyroidism. But you also need to get your doctor to order some more lab tests. You need to have your free t-3 & free t-4 checked along with your thyroid antibodies for graves disease or hashimotos. You have many symptoms of hyperthyroidism which is generally caused by graves disease.

You can learn more about auto-immune thyroid disease here.

http://www.suite101.com/lesson.cfm/19330/2898

This is an example of the above site...Copy it off & take it into your doctor if you have to.

Symptoms typically occur as a cluster with several symptoms predominating. Common symptoms of hyperthyroidism include: irritability, weight loss, weakness, shortness of breath, palpitations, increased thirst or appetite, increased bowel movements, sensitivity to heat, increased tolerance to cold, insomnia, warm skin, moist skin, fine hair, nail changes, vitiligo, tremors, increased sweating, hyperactive reflexes, tachycardia, irregular or absent menstrual periods, enlarged breasts in males, hyperpigmentation, emotional lability, depression, and restlessness.

Signs of hyperthyroidism include: increased heart rate, increased systolic blood pressure, slightly decreased white blood cell count, enlarged lymph notes, eyelid tremor, tongue tremor, increased blood calcium levels, anovulatory menstrual periods, amenorrhea, which causes scanty or absent menstrual periods, decreased peripheral resistance, increased cardiac output and pulse pressure, increased fast wave activity on EEG, goiter, increased liver enzyme levels, redness of palms, face, neck, and elbows, and dehydration. An examination of the thyroid gland shows thrills and bruits due to increased blood flow and the gland is often enlarged.

The appearance may change in hyperthyroidism. While most patients with hyperthyroidism lose weight, usually an average loss of twenty pounds, approximately ten percent of patients gain weight. Weight gain is more likely to occur in younger patients.

Hyperthyroidism may also cause its patients to have an expression of fright or extreme anxiousness. This may be related to the peculiar eye signs characteristic of hyperthyroidism. These eye signs include eyelid retraction, a prominent staring appearance, infrequent blinking, light sensitivity and proptosis or bulging.

You do not have to have all of these symptoms to be hyperthyroid...But from what you said you have many of them along with the low TSH which needs to be investigated sooner.
Family physicans do not see hyperthyroidism alot & may not realize what is happening.

I suggest you get copies of all your labs & tests from your physican so you have a record just incase you end up seeing a specialist. Each lab also has their own set of normal values & it is good that you post them along with the result when asking your questions.

Please take time & learn about hyperthyroidism I beleive you'll reconize alot of the symptoms.

Good Luck TJ
I had exactly the same symptoms when diagnosed with Graves hyperthyroidism. Had the irritated pain on the lower right side of abdomen, from colon overworking I assume. Had burning during urination in which my endo told me it was calcium coming out through the urine.
I had (have)graves disease.  I don't know how it is classified after you have the surgery.  Anyways, a good way to check for a goiter is to look in the mirror with head slightly elevated.  Directly under your adams apple and between the two bones that come in off both shoulders look for a lump.  That is how I self diagnosed myself to get the ball rolling.  I got tired of doctors telling me I didn't have a problem when I knew I did.  This disease runs in my family.  Anyways, the pounding heart, shakes, dizziness, headaches, nueasea...are all symptoms I had.  I had to get put on heart medication, take a baby aspirin daily...I finally found a good doctor that asked me if anything strange was happening like spasms...I told him that if I stretched to far or to hard it could be my back or legs or arms...but yes I would have awful spasm type things.  That is when he started to do the ekg's and stress test.  I was even prescribed nitroglycerin spray/pump for chest pains.  I am not saying this is your problem, but if you even suspect it, get checked.  This isn't anything to play with.  It almost killed me.
Some of your symptoms sure sound like you have hyperthyroidism. I suggest that you see an endocrinologist and unless they find cancer, don