Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Ferritin, Vitamin D & Hashimotos
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Ferritin, Vitamin D & Hashimotos

Dear Dr. Lupo,
My Endo & Hematologist have both told me that my low ferritin & my low vitamin D are not related to my thyroid. I have now been scheduled for an endoscopy and a colonoscopy has already ruled out any cancer or bleeding in that area. My endo has also told me that if the endoscopy comes back normal they will have to do a bone marrow test. In your experience is vitamin D & low ferritin related to Hashimotos in any way? Also, could it be possible cancer could be the reason behind the low ferritin & vitamin d? I am a 31 year old female who was diagnosed with Hashimotos after post partum 1 year ago from panic attacks & based on high thyroglobulin levels in the 300's but all thyroid levels are normal other than this. My endo prescribed me .5 Levoxyl for 2 months but then recently took me off because of weight gain & him thinking this could be a false negative. I am now confused do I have Hashimotos or not? I have anxiety related symptoms & weight gain & neck pain. I am scared though about the ferritin being so low at a 9. I am taking Foltrin for 4 months now and only at a 16, 2 of the months I was taking it with calcium & d so they were probably cancelling each other out. I hope you can respond & let me know your thoughts. I also have a .5mm nodule but to small to biopsy so they are watching it. I wish you were my dr. but I am in CA.

Thank you!
Alex