Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Fluctuating Thyroid Levels

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Fluctuating Thyroid Levels

About 4 years ago (i am now 20) i was diagnosed with a hypothyroid. I was put on hormones to level out my TSH. Then, out of the blue i was told i was misdiagnosed, and never had it. I have been off the hormones for almost 2 years. Here are the problems i am currently having. I am still losing alot of hair, weight gain,very fatigued, bad headaches and lumps in the back of my neck, swollen glands in my neck (front) and pelvis, and i have passed out 6 times in the past 3 weeks (my blood sugar and brain MRI are normal). I have also been diagnosed with a bleeding disorder that i was told "came from nowhere and may or may not go away". Have not had that problem my whole life, just started having bleeding problems 2 years ago and i was on my period for more then a year and a half straight. My doctor has done TSH and T3 and T4 tests....my TSH is low again, but my T3 and T4 are normal. But this is not always the case, sometimes it is the other way around, my TSH is normal (or a little below) then my T3 and T4 are low. My doctor has no idea why this is happening. Also, about 2 years ago i was told i had a nodule on my thyroid. Thyroid problems run in my family, all the females on my mothers side has had either hyper or hypothyroid. A few have had cancer, and my mom had her's radiated. I have a feeling i do have thyroid problems and being with out hormones for 2 years has maybe caused heart palpitations?(my eco is normal, but everytime i have passed out there is a flutter and my heart beat is slow) Could the nodule be cancer? Why are my tests all over the place? Would a PET test show anything?What should i do?? I am really desperate, i want to feel normal again. Any help would be great! Thanks!
With the passing out spells at this age, would consider a cardiology evaluation for vasodepressor syncope (echo would be normal in this setting).  This is not related to thyroid issues and the thyroid levels are borderline without a clear pattern -- therefore hard to conclude that thyroid medication would be helpful.  The nodule needs further evaluation, but is not likely contributing to the passing out spells - these currently take priority over the thyroid eval.