Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Fluctuating thyroid????
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Fluctuating thyroid????

I am a 23 yr old female 13 weeks high risk pregnancy and completely confused!
For as long as i can remember i have always had weight problems. If i am skinny this year i will be heavy the next year and then skinny the year after that. It always seems to be about a 35-45lb difference. I have always felt tired through out the day, but i get other symptoms as well. i have periods of feeling extremely hungry, hand tremors, heart palpitations, hair loss, insomnia associated with weight loss. i thought this to be a hyper thyroid! please note that this past winter i worked for a pediatric office was having these symptoms including loss of 22 lbs in 1 month, the doctors that i worked for said i was a classic case of hyperthyroid! other times i gain weight and eat less without most of these symptoms. thought that could be hypo thyroid.  I have had 3 blood test come back negative for thyroid problems. Recently, i thought i was pregnant (now 13 weeks along) saw my PCP for blood work for pregnancy and thyroid. On Aug. 7 had my blood drawn the thyroid came back negative. then on Aug. 28 saw my ob/gyn she did a thyroid test and it came back hyperthyroid.  From aug 7th to sept. 20 i have since lost another 13lbs. I am a high risk pregnancy see a perinatologist! he suggested to do a thyroid panel ( no results yet) and to see an endocrinologist. He was also just as confused as me as to why the test came back negative and then come back as hyper active like 2 weeks later. He also said the symptoms i have sound like a classic case of hyper thyroid.

so my question is: Could this be a fluctuating thyroid like i feel it is and will it affect my  already high risk pregnancy? What do they do for a fluctuating thyroid?
thanks