Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Gastroparesis from Hypothoidism

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Gastroparesis from Hypothoidism

I was recently diagnosed with gastroparesis ,  the DR, said it  was  because I have   Hashimoto's disease and can be caused by hypothyroidism , but  TSH tests  have been   in the normal  range so  how could I still  get gastroparesis   ? Also is this condition reversible  ?

Thank You   Kathleen
Gastroparesis is usually related to diabetes but there are other causes and in many cases no explanation.  If normal thyroid labs (even w/ hashi) then it's not the thyroid.
gastroparesis    is  directly related  ( a complication of ) to diabetes. It has to due with the nerves in the stomach  being affected by the diabetes just like the nerves in a diabetics foot.  It is a neuropathy. I know b/c my mom had this as one of her complications to her diabetes. You would be amazed at how many medical personnel never heard of it.  
I'd go over to the diabetes section and seek support.
I'm not saying  a person's thyroid can't indirectly  affect  the nervous system but this is a  known diabetes complication.
They put my mom on  erythromycin ( the antiobiotic)   and  a drug that helps the stomach empty faster.  I know it does not make sense- an antibiotic but that's is how they treat it.
best of luck to you
b
I have gastroparesis (of unknown origin).  eat small meals, don't eat after 7 pm.  I was put on reglan for a while but had some abnormal bloodwork because of it and had to stop.

Thank you everyone for your responses, they were most helpful.

Kathleen
A related discussion, gastroparesis and thyroid? was started.