Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Generic thyroid drugs

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Generic thyroid drugs

Why are generic thyroid drugs a no-no?  I just found out yesterday my thyroid levels are low and was prescribed Synthroid 50 mcg.  The dr allowed a generic subsitition and I received levothyroxine.  Last night after doing more reseach, I see that generic drugs are supposedly a no-no for hypothyroid.  Why?  If this is a drug I might have to be on the rest of my life, I'd certainly rather pay generic cost for it...

Thanks in advance.
This is b/c the generics have at least 8 different producers -- the absorption and consistency between these sources may differ, that is why with a medication that has such a narrow therapeutic window (ie, TSH 0.5-2.0) we prefer to stick with a brand to ensure that patients receive a consistent product.
Hi doordie -

Both my endo and my pharmacist say generic is fine as long as you stick with the same manufacturer.  It's when you switch back and forth between manufacturers that you get into inconsistencies.
Hi, your so right about that doctors seem to focus more on prescribing synthroid, I had myxedema coma 3 years ago and never agin have been able to get my thyroid under control, the endos kept giving me synthroid, a lot of different doses  form 112mcg to 150mcg,and the last one was 125mcg which would  all get me hyperthyroid every single time,, until my new doc gave me a generic and i am on 125mcg  of levothyroxine and its working great for now and I have not gone hyper like i do with 125mcg within a few weeks on it, so generics  work best for some of us and are cheaper too! but docs just focus on synthroid, I am glad i went to see a regular doc and he gave me this because I havent been feeling sick as i normally do on synthroid, of course i will stick with the same brand but i will definitely not go back to synthroid