Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Go to Specialist or Primary Care Physician?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I just had some blood work done thru a program at work and for giggles threw in a TSH test.  It came back 6.7.  In 2002 I had some dramatic weight gain, hair falling out, panic attacks, heart palpitations and had a TSH test done with results of 3.8.  My Primary Care Physician told me I was normal.  Now I find out that normal levels have been revised down to .3 to 3.3 so I should have been treated.  Now I loath the idea of being treated by this doctor since he didn't treat me before and I've suffered for years with this.  Should I just go to a specialist?
Given the history of TSH 3.8 a few years ago, now 6.7 -- treatment seems reasonable -- primary care can usually do this, but an endocrinologist would be the expert to get things started in the right direction.
Yes, go to an Endo if you can, if not, or you have to wait for months, then  go to another general/family doctor to get treatment first. 6.7 is too high even by old range.
Make sure the endo is a thyroid specialist and not just well versed in diabeties