Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Graves

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Graves
Hello I am new to this but thought I would try it out! I am 29 and have been recently diagnosed with graves disease! I was put on ptu! The reason for the ptu is because I am trying to become pregnant through artificial insemination. I have been waiting months to start but have been told that I need to wait until my graves is under control! I had blood work done yesterday and it was reduced from 100mg a day to 50mg a day! My dosage has changed every time since I have been diagnosed. Is this normal? I don't know what my levels actually are but does my dosage being lowered mean its getting better? I want to move forward with the pregnancy stuff and would like to try the first insemination this month! I need some help with what all of this means
Sounds like it is improving - you should talk to your doctor about the thyroid levels and target goals prior to pregnancy.  Usually we keep the Free T4 in the upper end of normal or slightly high during pregnancy w/ hyperthyroidism with idea of minimizing PTU/methimazole dose.
With the way the PTU dose is being reduced, you may not need any medication...but talk with your endocrinologist.