Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Grave's Disease ???? Will I gain weight after Radiation??????

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I was diag w/Grave's in Mar '05. I have opted to skip all treatments, however, I will go through radiation Sept 1st. Will I gain weight or continue to loose weight?????? Anyone with info, please advise. Thanks.
A couple years ago, I too, was diagnosed with Graves.  I had the radiation treatment.  I basically stayed the same as far as my weight.  The important thing you need to do is to have your thyroid levels monitored and to make sure your levels stay in the normal range.
I had radio iodine done 9yrs ago. After I had that I went in every month and had blood work done. To make sure I didnt go up or down. It was about 3months later I was normal. I lost 50 pounds before I found out that I had graves disease, it was so fun to eat and lose wieght! But, I still ate like I used to and did gain it back. Anyhoo back to my story. I was normal untill I got preg about a 2yrs later and I was back to hyper. I was hyper the whole preg so lots of ultrasounds to make sure he didnt have a goiter, because I was on meds. I went back to normal after he was born. 2yrs ago I gained 30 pounds in a blink of an eye. My thyroid finally kicked the bucket. It took 7yrs to get to this point. Now I take a thyroid test every year or if I feel I should take one sooner. It took a few times before I got stable on .150. One thing they told me was the iodine would only last a year. They told my mom it would be in her system for 10. Either my thyroid was being stubborn or the iodine was still in my system.  I dont know. Good Luck, and just take control of your eating and I bet you wont gain the weight back. Dont be a dink like me and wait to gain 30pounds before seeing the dr..