Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
HELP!! going for 2nd FNA dont know what to look for

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hello Dr Lupo,

I saw your site and was very impressed by your honest help for people.  My wife was told in Feb 2010 she had a 7mm nodule on her right thyroid nodule, it grew up to 18mm, before we could get the first biopsy October 2010 (finally got insurance), and now she has to go for a second FNA.  Her first FNA they had to use spinal needles to reach the nodule and we are concerned and not really being told much, nothing we can really understand.  Now they told us her partially solid/fluid nodule has now turned into a solid nodule and we are worried. Can you help???

Results:
1.  1.8cm x 0.9cm nodule in deep posterior aspect of right lobe of the thyroid gland
2.  Nodule is partially calcified.  (Whats this mean???)
3.  Favor a benign thyroid nodule with cystic degeneration (is this good or bad???)
4.  No papillary structures, cytologic atypia or evidence of malignancy.  (assume this mean no cancer ?????)

Microscopic Results: (this is where we are really confused)
1.  pigment laden foamy macrophages ( what is this???)
2.  multinucleated giant cells (good or bad ???)
3. cellular debris with only occasional cluster of unremarkable follicular cells ( no clue as to whats this means)

Thank you so much for any help and insight anyone can provide.  We just want to know what is going on, without being pressured.

Tags: Thyroid, FNA, biopsy, papillary structures, macrophages
It sounds that are benign complex (both cystic and solid) nodule in the thyroid.  Usually we would recommend repeat ultrasound in 6 months to ensure stable size.
That should have read: It sounds like a benign complex nodule.
Thank you so much Dr Lupo, my wife just had her second biopsy earlier this week and have an appointment Monday to get the results.  The doctor that did the biopsy did say that her nodule was extremely deep behind her thyroid.