Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Half Thyroidectomy and am not on meds...

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I had half of my thyroid out in 2011 at age 19, for a large tumor (size of a lemon.) They only discovered that it contained a tiny amount of cancer cells after my surgery. My Dr. put me on Levothroid (I think?) to supres my thyroid so that the cancer wouldn't pop up on the remaining side... I couldn't afford insurance so I stopped taking the Levothroid 11 years ago. I just had an ultra sound and blood work. Both came up normal. So my question is, is it okay if I continue without taking thyroid hormone since it hasn't caused me any harm thus far?
It is not mandatory, but some would argue that if the TSH is borderline high (>3 for example), levothyroxine to bring it down to 0.5-1.5 may be worthwhile, but if you are being monitored w/ labs and ultrasound it may not be required (unless TSH is clearly high, >10)