Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Half Thyroidectomy and am not on meds...
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Half Thyroidectomy and am not on meds...

I had half of my thyroid out in 2011 at age 19, for a large tumor (size of a lemon.) They only discovered that it contained a tiny amount of cancer cells after my surgery. My Dr. put me on Levothroid (I think?) to supres my thyroid so that the cancer wouldn't pop up on the remaining side... I couldn't afford insurance so I stopped taking the Levothroid 11 years ago. I just had an ultra sound and blood work. Both came up normal. So my question is, is it okay if I continue without taking thyroid hormone since it hasn't caused me any harm thus far?
97953_tn?1193367871
It is not mandatory, but some would argue that if the TSH is borderline high (>3 for example), levothyroxine to bring it down to 0.5-1.5 may be worthwhile, but if you are being monitored w/ labs and ultrasound it may not be required (unless TSH is clearly high, >10)
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now