Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hashimoto's Disease and Pregnancy.

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hashimoto's Disease and Pregnancy.

Hashimoto's Disease is an autoimmune disorder that attacks the thyroid and I experience bouts of hypo and hyperthyroidism.  I believe I might be pregnant. I've missed December and January's period. I have cravings, nausea,
Incredibly painful htheaches, discharge, increased sexual drive, bloating, fatigue (more than usual), and the list
continues. After a series of negative HPTs I went to my primary care physician and she did a blood test (if I was pregnant I would've been 5-6 weeks at tghe time) and it came up negative, but the doctor seemed certain that i was pregnant with the symptoms I am having and told me to "treay myself like I'm pregnant," so I've been taking prenatals, eating healthy, drinking plenty of water, etc. I do have a hormone problem with the thyroiditis and I believe I may not have had enough hormone to be shown on a test. Anyone else with this disease have any "words of wisdom" or any success stories? I want to have children and I want to make sure I takr care of myself regardless and prepare myself for whatever is to come.
A thyroid condition is not likely to interfere w/ pregnancy tests.  It would be unusual for HCG testing to be negative if you are pregnant, but you should consider seeing an OB if you and your primary are convinced of pregnancy.  If pregnant, retesting TSH and T4 is important as thyroid hormone balance is essential to a healthy pregnancy.