Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hashimoto's and low B12

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hashimoto's and low B12
I have Hashi's, and very high peroxidase thyroid antibodies.  Am on thyroxine and my tsh levels are ok now and have been since August.  I still feel rubbish, extreme hair loss, stomach pains, rashes, tiredness, breathlessness, very prone to illnesses etc, despite having been very fit and healthy previously. Latest round of blood tests show low blood count and low B12, but doctors want to wait for two months then re-test despite the fact that I am finding it very difficult to function normally.  Is it normal to subject patients to waits and re-tests?  

Tanya
If the B12 is low - wouldn't wait two months but would retest the B12 to confirm the result and check anti-parietal cell and anti-IF (intrinsic factor) to look into the autoimmune condition called Pernicious Anemia (increased risk in pts with other autoimmune diseases such as Hashi) as the cause of the low B12 -- this responds to B12 injections very well --- a cheap and safe treatment.
Thanks for that, it's frustrating and being in the UK and on the NHS, I see different doctors, with varying levels of specialist endocrine knowledge.  I had a 10 month wait and a barrage of blood tests before getting thyroxine, I don't want to have to wait the same before they figure out what's wrong this time!  Fingers crossed.