Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Headaches caused from thyroid issues?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Headaches caused from thyroid issues?

Hi Dr.
Hopefully you can give me some answers.  It started March 19th, I awoke with a headache and neck pain.  The day before I had been doing sit-ups (I don't think this is relivent but thought I'd mention it).  The headache felt sinus related so I went to the family doctor.  He prescribed some antibiotics but they didn't help.  Thought it might be due to tmj problems but went to that Dr. and he ruled tmj out.  I then went back to family Dr. told them my symptoms and she did some blood tests, came back a little hyperthyroid.  My symptoms have been shaky hands, neck shakes when I bend over (sore muscles in neck over a month), nausea (mostly in the am), headaches almost constantly, worse when I first get up in the mornings.  They pretty much go away when I take something for them, but then come back again.  I had pressure behind my eyes with the headaches, early on but that has subsided.  Pressure in my ears, like they are popping daily.  I woke up with double vision one morning (only lasted about 20 secs).  The headaches aren't as tense as they were a month ago, but still here.  I also have light sensitivity and headaches get worse out in the light and heat.  I am the kind of person who rarely gets headaches.  I just had a new baby 5 months ago and I have been diagnosed with ITP in 2003 (it's in remission and I see a hematologist regulraly for it).  I have an appt. with an Endocrinologist but it's not till the end of this month, so I was hoping you could give me some feedback sooner.  Should I be seeing a Neurologist also?  Are these normal symptoms of hyperthyroid disorder?  The headaches are the most annoying symptom really.  Thanks alot in advance.  Melissa P.
A slightly low TSH ("a little hyper") is not likely the cause of these symptoms - but may be a result of the stress the body is under due to the symptoms.  If you haven't had a CT or MRI of the head, would do this first.

A neurologist is the best expert for a headache evaluation.

Would repeat thyroid labs to make sure there is not an evolving hyperthyroidism -- assuming I am right that the lab abnormality is just a slightly low TSH.
1 Comment
A related discussion, post partum thyroiditis was started.