Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Help understanding Tsh levels and adjusting my medication

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

In March I went on a diet and lost 50 lbs. That was my goal and was happy with that. I kept losing weight and at my annual check up at my Gyn  in June I had him check my thyroid since I have been on medication for 15 years. I had a nodule removed when I was 13 and only a small section of my thyroid had to be removed. My tsh I believe was 0.175 then in June. I have been on thyroid 1 grain 65mg since surgeryin 1993, so my dose was lowered in June . I continued to lose weight since June a total of 85 lbs. My hair has come out so bad I really need a wig, my heart pounds , I can't sleep, it just goes on and on. So I went back and told him something else was going on. I felt a knot in my neck and I could feel It when I swallowed. I went for an ultrasound and a growth was found. He is sending me to a specialist thank goodness. But , he checked my tsh again two days ago and it was 0.035 and he said it was low and wants to lower my thyroid medication even more to 38.5 mg of thyroid 1grain per day. If its low does my medication not need to be increased? I"m still having all the symptoms I've been having. I just need some advice I don't see this specialist until the end of the month and I am about to go acrazy worrying over this! Thanks!
A low TSH means the pituitary (in the brain) is detecting too much thyroid hormone in your body and trying to regulate it -- in this case the right thing to do is lower the Armour dose especially with your symptoms that are typical for hyperthyroidism